While most Android mistakes are Google Play Related, this informative article addresses “Obtaining IP address from …” network connection problem that prevents users from connecting to WiFi networks. Many Android apparatus cannot connect to the internet since it gets stuck in getting IP address loop while attempting to connect to home or office WiFi network.
Most consumers try resetting the router and disconnecting and reconnecting to WiFi but these fixes rarely do the job, and some even send their Android apparatus for fixing, which wind up costing them money. Actually, you can easily resolve the obtaining IP address Wi-Fi error yourself by simply following the steps below. Please note that this repair is designed for your home system rather than for public access points where you must access to the router setup.
[Solved] How to Fix Stuck on Obtaining IP Address ? :
- First turn on Wi-Fi on your Android device
- Go to system Settings >> Network >> Tap on WiFi
- Now you will see various Wi-Fi networks
- Long Press on your Wi-Fi connection
- Now you will get two options in the pop up- “Forget network” and “Modify network”.
- Choose “Modify network”.
- Enable- “Show advanced options” .
- Change IP Settings (which is DHCP by default),to “Static”.
- Now you should see a bunch of advanced options.
- Simply assign a new IP address. For example if it was 192.168.1.3 you can change it to 126.96.36.199. Now “Save”
The above solution is for devices running Android Jelly Bean 4.2.x, 4.3, Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5 Lollipop. It may also work for Android 6.0 Marshmallow devices. Smartphones with the newer firmware seldom face such issue where users can not connect to Wi-Fi because of obtaining IP address problem. For Older Android OS, the menu navigation is different but the process is fundamentally the same. Just head to Wi-Fi configurations, press Menu and choose Advance. Many customized ROMs such as Cyanogenmod, Paranoid Android, SlimRom etc additionally get the obtaining IP address mistake.
Common apparatus experiencing this stuck on Obtaining IP address message include Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S duos, Galaxy Note 3, Note 4 and Galaxy Tab. Sony sony xperia Z, Xperia Z2, Sony Xperia E, Huawei X5, Huawei Ascend C300, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire, HTC One X, HTC One, HTC One S, Nexus 5 etc.